Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A little löve

While kicking around game programming ideas, I decided to have a look at graphical game development.  I was a little skeptical of digging - I'm not a serious programmer, and I have zero experience with graphic development.  Plus I'm not really much of a visual artist.  But I looked around anyway.

And found löve.

Its a 2d framework for lua programming.  I've heard a lot about lua - tons of games that I play use it for their scripting, but I've barely glanced at it.

So I got my hands on it and began digging through tutorials and such.

Its a world of difference from PHP development.  For starters, well, its graphical.  Grizzled veterans would have chuckled to watch me trying to puzzle out the theory behind making things move from one location to another.  And I've gotten accustomed to SQL backends, so my realization that this variety of programming would rely on savegame files of some sort was startling.

Its odd too - I've grown fairly familiar with PHP, so starting over in terms of syntax, concept, theory and basic code principles seems much like having forgotten how to swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment